John Judd.

Malcolm Needs

This is sad news:(. Being from Windsor, Ontario, just across the border from Detroit, I had the pleasure of attending several of his lectures in both Detroit and Ann Arbor. He was also one of my instructors for the MABB SBB lecture series. I remember our class wandering through the halls of St. Joseph Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor with him, looking for coffee during one of our lectures. He made the classes enjoyable for sure. He will be missed. May he rest in peace:(

That is very said news.  He was a great leader in Transfusion Medicine.  We all have fond memories of him.  As a Navy SBB Fellow, we would attend the Univ of Michigan seminars and John Judd would spend time talking with us about different issues we had at our medical centers.  He really gave a personal touch that was greatly appreciated.  He will definitely be missed.   

Very sad to hear this.  I spent, what I consider, a great deal of time with John and enjoyed every minute and learned more than I remember from him.  The highlight was when I ran across him in Vienna in 2000.  I was presenting a poster on automation in the transfusion service and he was attending as well.  We had a most delightful conversation.  In my estimation he was one of the great ones.  It was his papers on dropping the autocontrol from pretransfusion testing that convinced my medical director that it would be ok for us as well.  Thanks John Judd, you are fondly remembered.

Thank you Malcolm for letting us know.  Was he residing in the UK?  I lost track of him when he retired.