Can I get your opinion or insight on this? Thank you.

SbbPerson
Go to solution Solved by Malcolm Needs,

• Solution

In terms of the function of the various ABO blood types, there have been a huge number of peer-reviewed papers written on the subject (and the number has exploded with the advent of COVID19).  I would seriously defy anyone to keep up with all of these, but I would recommend reading pages 42-43 of Reid ME, Lomas-Francis C, Olsson ML.  The Blood Group Antigen FactsBook.  3rd edition, 2012. Academic Press.  ISBN: 978-0-12-415849-8.

In terms of how they evolved, it is so far back now that it is anyone's guess, but slides 28 to 32 of the attached lecture may give you some idea.

In Depth Lecture on The ABO and H Blood Group Systems.pptx

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Mabel Adams said:

ABO antigens are present on many other tissues besides red cells.  I wonder if they serve additional functions in some of those tissues.

I cannot see why they would be expressed as histoantigens if they did not have a function, but, apart from causing problems with some organ transplants, I am a bit foxed as to what the function may be.