Ortho Vision, Grifols Erytra or Biorad IH-1000

NicolePCanada

Having had the opportunity to have worked with all 3 of the aforementioned machines, I'd say beyond any doubt that Biorad is light years ahead of Ortho. You get definitive results with Biorad, not the untold and innumerable false positives using Ortho reagents and products. I don't remember having any major downtime issues with Biorad apart from the expected wear and tear of a robust machine running 24/7 - 365.

The turnaround time using Biorad was much better.

Maintenance schedule is a breeze.

having been a manual gel user for years I am switching to solid phase in the next few weeks (ECHO 2.0). 

I like the fact that it's pretty much hands off once on the instrument.  I wanted to get away from gel as I've experienced many of the same discrepancies as with tubes.  I expect this will have its own vagaries however it is a step up for my staff. Also the price was right for a refurbished unit. 

I have used Immucor Echo instruments since 2008.  I love them!  There are still some issues with cold antibodies and weakly positive DAT's causing positive screens, as with any newer methodology.  Unfortunately, we are going to be going to the Ortho Visions due to corporate decisions.  I'm trying to be optimistic but am thankful to be in the latter part of my career (3 years to go!).

• 2 weeks later...

My Echo is 13 going on 14 years old. It's been very reliable, service has been good. I will be upgrading to a new instrument next year to avoid a surcharge on our contract because we are running such an elderly analyzer.  I switched us from manual gel (which we used for about 8 years) because I was tired of weak antibody reactions that required PeG/tube to resolve. Solid phase has worked well with our patient population.

Thank you all for your responses. We will be sticking with the Gel Methodology. Nothing in my being wants to switch to solid phase. Just waiting for RFP, because at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which one I want, but which one is the cheapest.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:45 AM, NicolePCanada said:

Thank you all for your responses. We will be sticking with the Gel Methodology. Nothing in my being wants to switch to solid phase. Just waiting for RFP, because at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which one I want, but which one is the cheapest.

Pay now or pay later.  I'd look at the volume of testing you plan to do on it, and the amount of hands on time required.  We have a busy lab and two IH-1000.  Most staff are comfortable running the two by themselves (and in this staffing environment we're all facing - that good :)), some staff like assistance.  

Reagent cost - lease, reagent rental, outright purchase?

Reliability

Responsiveness of the company.

Annual maintenance requirements?

So much more to consider than the initial cost.

We have the Ortho Vision which interfaces to our LIS, Cerner. Pretty reliable overall and only 1-2 service calls per year.

We run type and screens, Cord bloods, Unit Confirmations, and Panels.

We do see a few ? reactions every day where my staff are allowed to view the gel card and edit grades based on their eye view.