Retired

donellda

I have not been around lately. A lot has happened in the last few years.  My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with orbital rhabdomyosarcoma in October of 2018. I spent a lot of time out of town because our hospital here in Windsor could not handle pediatric radiation so she was at the Children's Hospital in London, Ontario off and on for several months. There was a point when her scans were clear but a few months later they found a tumor in her brain. They removed it surgically but she developed an infection which prevented them from doing radiation so the tumor returned. She passed away October of 2019. 

My father had been ill at the same time with interstitial lung disease. It progressed very quickly after my granddaughter died.  He was at the point where he needed home care but with covid he lost his homecare because of my job as a tech in Detroit.  I was the only one who could care for him so I changed my work schedule to just weekends so that I would limit my own exposure at the hospital (only 3 techs work on the weekends) and so that I could be there with him during the week. My father passed away May31 of 2020.

My husband and I both decided to retire early with all that had happened, so October 31, 2020 was our last day worked.  He became a permanent deacon in the Catholic Church in November 2019 so he has been very busy with the church. I am a personal trainer besides being a med tech so I did a certification in senior fitness. I am just waiting for things to open up so that I can do some work with seniors.  I have been spending a lot of time with my 5 year old twin grandchildren while they do online school. I will be glad when they can be back in the classroom.:)

On 6/19/2021 at 12:36 PM, donellda said:

I have not been around lately. A lot has happened in the last few years.  My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with orbital rhabdomyosarcoma in October of 2018. I spent a lot of time out of town because our hospital here in Windsor could not handle pediatric radiation so she was at the Children's Hospital in London, Ontario off and on for several months. There was a point when her scans were clear but a few months later they found a tumor in her brain. They removed it surgically but she developed an infection which prevented them from doing radiation so the tumor returned. She passed away October of 2019. 

My father had been ill at the same time with interstitial lung disease. It progressed very quickly after my granddaughter died.  He was at the point where he needed home care but with covid he lost his homecare because of my job as a tech in Detroit.  I was the only one who could care for him so I changed my work schedule to just weekends so that I would limit my own exposure at the hospital (only 3 techs work on the weekends) and so that I could be there with him during the week. My father passed away May31 of 2020.

My husband and I both decided to retire early with all that had happened, so October 31, 2020 was our last day worked.  He became a permanent deacon in the Catholic Church in November 2019 so he has been very busy with the church. I am a personal trainer besides being a med tech so I did a certification in senior fitness. I am just waiting for things to open up so that I can do some work with seniors.  I have been spending a lot of time with my 5 year old twin grandchildren while they do online school. I will be glad when they can be back in the classroom.:)

I am so sorry for all of your losses.  I hope life gets a bit easier in the coming months and years.  You provided much help and support on this site for a long time.  We are glad to have you here if you choose to join us.