Informed Consent

Our Blood Bank dispenses albumin and RhIG which we call derivatives. The blood consent states lumps blood and blood derivatives together as either the patient accepts or refuses. I think if these products were dispensed from the pharmacy, I'm not sure a consent would be required. 

Pharmacy used to have albumin but gave it to us probably 30 years ago, long before computers and barcode scanners. I would love to give it back to pharmacy but it is not in the stars. 

We have a transfusion consent for just the Blood components.  We do not require one for RHIG from Blood Bank, but Labor and Delivery has a fairly comprehensive form for what a pt will or will not accept.  We don't see that form usually.

Pharmacy has the rest of the derivatives - I don't know what they require.

We require a Blood Refusal for RhoGam if the patient needs it and won't receive the RhoGam. Our refusal includes a lot of the derivatives because of the big Jehovah Witness population. The refusal includes RhoGam. This way we are covered if they come back pregnant again and have developed Anti-D.