CAP REQUIREMENTS FOR TECHS PERFORMING COMPETENCY

Leslie Tech

Hi,

I have been a tech since 1985.   I first received my Associates Degree as an MLT, then a few years later received my Bachelor's Degree in General Studies (1993).  With my experience and taking the classes required by ASCP, I obtained my MT certification through ASCP.

For the past 27 years I've worked in various lead and supervisor positions and it has never been an issue for me to do competencies.  Last year I was told the new CAP requirement is anyone doing competencies must have a Bachelor's of Science to do moderate complexity competencies, however, I could do high complexity competencies with my education.

How does that even make sense?   I have many connections in various hospitals of various size.   A few of these contacts have told me that the Lab Director acn approve techs, based on education and experience to fulfill the 'technical consultant' described by CAP.

What experiences do you have in your labs?   Needless to say this is very frustrating.  We have a very small lab and only one person meets the requirement and has no interest in performing the competencies.