We still use a clerical check on the paper Transfusion Record then all records come back to the blood bank for review.  If they don't fill the clerical check on perfectly (2 medical staff signatures, full date and time completed) I put in a safety report.  It's one of nursing's performance improvement plans to be >95% each month.  I would rather they do the 'double check' in the computer but we don't have Epic BPAM (blood product admin module) set up to match the results filed when we issue the product to the barcodes they enter at the beside before transfusion.  

On 4/5/2021 at 7:06 AM, AMcCord said:

We are using the FinalCheck system.

We also use BPAM and collect all specimens with electronic ID. I don't believe either of these two methods is regarded as a barrier method, though they are certainly an improvement for patient safety.

We have a blood transfusion administration module in our HIS, on receipt on the ward they have to scan the unit against the patients electronic record, if it doesn't match the patient it was issued for, it will not allow them to proceed with the administration. I am working to further enhance this by incorporating patient wrist band scan at the same time at the patients bed side. 

• 4 weeks later...

We use the Transfusion administration record in Meditech. Barcode scanning in the BB on issue and at bedside by nursing. Nursing brings a form with the patient account number to pick up the unit. We scan that to bring up the patient and then scan out the blood.