S.C.A.R.F.

• 2 weeks later...

I see there has been quite a few views but no comments.  Sooooo.... the S.C.A.R.F. group (Serum, Cells, And, Rare, Fluids) would share samples of interesting cases they had investigated.  Each person would send out one sample to each of the other members in the group once a year.  Everyone benefited by having a rare samples from which  they could freeze aliquots. These would be available for aiding in future investigations of challenging patient specimens sent to their Immunohematology Reference Lab.

At the time I was a member, I believe John Moulds was whom monitored the group I was involved with sharing samples. I'm not sure if there were multiple groups and who may have also involved with the members in the groups.  Neither am I aware who took over the group I was participating with when John left the group.

I posted this topic for out of curiosity to see if there was still a SCARF group or similar still active.

It is possible that there are no longer groups like SCARF out there or no past members on this site.

Within my own laboratory (Immunohaematology Reference Laboratory NHSBT-Tooting Centre), one of my senior staff, Alan Gray, was the designated member of SCARF.  Unfortunately, Alan has retired and, as I understand, is now in poor health.  I will try to see what has happened, but do not want to cause him any difficulties.

Thank you Malcolm, but no worries.  Certainly nothing to disturb a fellow retired BB.  I only threw the topic out there to see if any previous members of SCARF were out there to share some stories with this group.  I wish I would have kept my SCARF membership list when I retired.  I recall several of the stateside British Mafia BBs being on the list. Plus I think there were a few other countries represented.  Maybe Wolfgang Dahr in Germany, but that may have been a separate request for something more specific.  It may be that more regulations and costs came around to interfere with sharing samples per professional courtesy.  Not only was it great for obtaining rare examples but was also educational for staff and students. For some peaked their interest in the field of Immunohematology, which was rewarding to see.

And with that I must say I have been very impressed with how you have responded, shared your knowledge and patiently helped those throughout the various topics on this web site.    Thank You!

On 2/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, mrmic said:

Sometimes I forget what I forgot?

What happened to the S.C.A.R.F. group?

I don't see anything on this site mentioned about it and it was a great exchange program for Immunohematology Reference labs. It was going through some changes when I changed jobs and left the membership.

Still running, co-incidentally received a sample this morning here in RCI (Oh). Still log on to monitor for any new posts/offerings once a month (or so).