Lectin kit for polyagglutination

On 1/18/2021 at 10:43 AM, noelrbrown said:

We have one in development at the moment. Our previous supplies of Arachis and Glycine proved to be unreliable.

Great news!  I will keep an eye on the Hemobioscience website for when it comes available.  Thanks.

It's nice to be able to order commercially, but what's the fun in that?  You should be able to contact a garden center, or maybe Google it these days, and get your seeds to make your own lectins!   We did that in the 70s and 80s at our Immunohematology Reference Lab and was quite entertaining and challenging for the staff.  I believe there is an AABB workshop book on Polyagglutination from 1980 that has some preparation and testing procedures.  Very good reference book and I think even Dr. Bird had a chapter written on the development of lectins.

We made a lot of the reagents that are commercially available today and I always thought it was good for the staff to research and prepare these reagents for a better understanding of their development.    

10 hours ago, mrmic said:

I believe there is an AABB workshop book on Polyagglutination from 1980 that has some preparation and testing procedures.  Very good reference book and I think even Dr. Bird had a chapter written on the development of lectins. 

I still have a very small cache of George Bird's seeds, which I will never relinquish!

So.. just a quick word of warning, its easy to grind up seeds and do an extraction. But what i have found is that the extraction may or may not work and its a bit fickle. if you go down the path of making your own lectin you must QC it by using either polyagglutinable cells or at the very least prepare Neuraminidase treated cells. If you don't you could end up with false negatives.

I didn't say preparation of lectins was easy.  It is challenging to find the right working dilution and QC.  But to me, that is just one part of being a laboratory scientist.  A part that makes me happy and one of the reasons I came to work.  To those that haven't tried this or something like this, give it try, you may enjoy it, who knows.

Mr. Needs, I guess we'll have to harvest the plants to obtain the seeds after they are buried with you! 😁 Until then "Live Long and Prosper".