Strange question

DCeDCe

Short answer: Yes

How was the anti-Jka detected initially, i.e., what technique ? Assuming it was an antiglobulin test, but was it Gel, Solid Phase, LISS, PEG ?

Yes, the panel cells are now ficin-treated and antibodies to Jka should be enhanced, but the test conditions that were used in the original assay may not exist when ficin-treated cells are used - one may need to add LISS or PEG, one may need to test by Gel or Solid Phase.

I agree with exlimey.  I once had an anti-E that reacted by LISS IAT, but try as we might, we could never get it to react with papain-treated red cells.

We doubted the specificity, and so we sent it to Joyce Poole at the International Blood Group Reference Laboratory to have a look at it, and she confirmed both the specificity and the fact that it was non-reactive with papain-treated red cells.

Anything is possible, as the antibodies refuse to read the damned text books!

In the UK, it is almost a sine qua non that an "enzyme panel" is put up simultaneously with the IAT panel John, so I would almost certainly have done the same as DCeDCe.

Edited by Malcolm Needs
Spelling - or lack of!

23 hours ago, John C. Staley said:

Couple of more strange questions, how sure are you that it is anti-Jka?  If you are sure, why were you doing a ficin panel?  

Can't wait to see what Malcolm has to say.  

:coffeecup:

An EXCELLENT question, John, but as Malcolm suggests, is appears that there is still a large dose of "we always do that" in many laboratories.

2 hours ago, exlimey said:

An EXCELLENT question, John, but as Malcolm suggests, is appears that there is still a large dose of "we always do that" in many laboratories.

Ah, but don't forget that, not only did I work in a Reference Laboratory, but am also a self-confessed pedant, and so, if a patient was both c Negative and E Negative, and had an anti-c, we would go to the ends of the Earth to prove the presence or absence of an anti-E, as a matter of pride!  :haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

1 hour ago, Malcolm Needs said:

Ah, but don't forget that, not only did I work in a Reference Laboratory, but am also a self-confessed pedant, and so, if a patient was both c Negative and E Negative, and had an anti-c, we would go to the ends of the Earth to prove the presence or absence of an anti-E, as a matter of pride!  :haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

I confess: I'm much the same way in the OCD sense. I'm also DCeDCe (R1R1), so perhaps this issue hits a little too close to the sensitive area. :wacko:

1 hour ago, exlimey said:

I confess: I'm much the same way in the OCD sense. I'm also DCeDCe (R1R1), so perhaps this issue hits a little too close to the sensitive area. :wacko:

I, too, am DCe/DCe (R1R1).  This is getting spooky!  Maybe you are on to something exlimey, and should write it up for Vox Sanguinis, Transfusion and/or Transfusion Medicine, or maybe even Nature!

18 hours ago, Malcolm Needs said:

I, too, am DCe/DCe (R1R1).  This is getting spooky!  Maybe you are on to something exlimey, and should write it up for Vox Sanguinis, Transfusion and/or Transfusion Medicine, or maybe even Nature!

An interesting idea, but I'm not sure I want my psychological dirty laundry hung out for the world to see.:)