BloodBankTalk: Antibody / Antigen Reaction

Cliff

I must be missing something.  Slide 48 lists that the zeta potential is inversely proportional to the ionic strength of the medium and density of the ionic cloud.  That would mean that a low-ionic strength solution (LISS) increases zeta potential.  Since the zeta potential is basically an indicator of electrostatic repulsion between similarly charged particles, that would mean that LISS would increase the electrostatic repulsion between RBCs, which, I believe, is not the case.

I guess I'll have to go back and brush up on my chemistry.

1 hour ago, Lauro said:

I must be missing something.  Slide 48 lists that the zeta potential is inversely proportional to the ionic strength of the medium and density of the ionic cloud.  That would mean that a low-ionic strength solution (LISS) increases zeta potential.  Since the zeta potential is basically an indicator of electrostatic repulsion between similarly charged particles, that would mean that LISS would increase the electrostatic repulsion between RBCs, which, I believe, is not the case.

So will I.  I was never great at chemistry!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 10:55 AM, Lauro said:

I thought it was straight forward.  RBC surfaces is negatively charged. LISS is positive (though a "low" positive). You increase the positive charge (the sodium ions) it dissipates the negative charges of the RBC surfaces, thus lowering the zeta potential between the cells.  And more sodium ions, the bigger the ionic cloud. 

• 2 months later...
  • Cliff changed the title to BloodBankTalk: Antibody / Antigen Reaction