Platelet donation

I recently started donating platelets.  Being an old retired blood banker I was kind of shocked at the end of the collection when the platelets were removed and were violently shaken to get them resuspended.  I recall, when I was still working,  doing a volume reduction procedure on platelets and we were taught to always be very gentle with the platelets and resuspend them gently.  So, I guess that I am wondering if this violent resuspension is harming the platelets?

5 hours ago, David Saikin said:

What does the vendor of your apheresis instrument say about processing the product?  I would think that would be a part of their instructions for use.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to that information.  I'm not sure a vendor would want to talk to someone like me who is now retired and out of that loop.

I received a response from a customer care coordinator from the collecting facility.  

"It is required to initially shake the Platelets strongly to resuspend them.

Later, in the process at the manufacturing labs ,the Platelets are placed on agitators or rotators to be mixed (rotated/agitated) gently while they are stored."

So, not entirely satisfied with this answer, but not sure where to go from here.

8 hours ago, dcubed said:

I received a response from a customer care coordinator from the collecting facility.  

"It is required to initially shake the Platelets strongly to resuspend them.

Later, in the process at the manufacturing labs ,the Platelets are placed on agitators or rotators to be mixed (rotated/agitated) gently while they are stored."

So, not entirely satisfied with this answer, but not sure where to go from here.

I always seem to stick my nose where it doesn't belong.  Do you recall the device?  Trima? Amicus?  You could contact them, ask for their manufacturer's instructions, and provide them to the facility with a suggestion they may want to alter their policies.  That does not sound healthy for the platelets.

I am going to make an assumption, (which I hate doing) and assume the part you saw shaken was the actual collection bag, which is surprisingly small. Shaped like a long rectangle? If it was an amicus system the manual actually calls for 2 re-suspensions before mixing into the plasma collected. The phleb will hold the bag firmly, with no slack between their hands and shake it lengthwise rather vigorously. The first time I saw this I curiously asked about it since I knew we usually treated them gently. Once it is suspended in plasma it sits "x" amount of time then is sent down to process lab. If you do not shake it enough, the platelets will not release from the small bag and you will have clumping and even low-yield products. I had the exact same "What are you doing!?!" response. Some machines, like the Trima I think, will do the agitation internally.  Hope this helps.