Historical ABO used for plasma products?

ffriesen

Let me play the devils advocate when it comes to using the historical type. What happens if the patient is not really the patient that the original ABO was performed on? What about the times when the ID number is bought and used by multiple people especially where there is a large community of people who are not necessarily legal to be here?

For these reasons and a few more, we require a current type.

49 minutes ago, MAGNUM said:

Let me play the devils advocate when it comes to using the historical type. What happens if the patient is not really the patient that the original ABO was performed on? What about the times when the ID number is bought and used by multiple people especially where there is a large community of people who are not necessarily legal to be here?

Great point.  I worked at a large facility.  We had multiple users of Medicare IDs.  Noticed when the "same" person came for prenatal work - but had different blood types.  We knew they were sharing cards.

For inpatient transfusion, we need a Type&Screen that was performed at least once for the duration of the admission.  Does not need to be current.  

For outpatient transfusion, we use historical Type&Screen with ABO verified on two separate draws.  We use the bloodloc system so, as long as the patient has this code on their driver license/ID that matches our LIS, it is valid for transfusion until they lose it.  Otherwise, a new T&S is needed.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:11 AM, MAGNUM said:

For these reasons and a few more, we require a current type.

Let me play devils advocate to your devils advocate.  :)

What ABO platelet would you give out if all you had was an incompatible platelet?

All Blood Products: We require a current BB sample, tested, etc.

Plasma, Platelets, Cryo: No time limitation as long as the patient is still wearing the matching BB Band. 

Plasma: If there is no current sample tested, it is given 'Uncrossmatched'.  If I'm interpreting the 'rules' correctly, that's what we have to do for plasma.

Platelets: We stock Group A Platelets so that is what they get.  We obtain Group compatible if we have to order platelets for a specific patient or a neonate.  Shortest outdate is used first.

Cryo:  There is no consideration for ABO Group ... shortest outdate is used first.  

On 10/27/2020 at 9:29 AM, David Saikin said:

that's all i ever have are ABO incompatible plts (usually). 

We try to give compatible, but unless they have a restriction for a certain ABO type, we give incompatible.  If needed, we wash.

4 hours ago, Malcolm Needs said:

Ummmmmmmm, how do you wash plasma Cliff?

Lookit wiseguy, I was responding to a comment about platelets.  :)

We have had docs request plasma when patients had severe reactions in the past and washed product restrictions.  No, we have not figured out how to wash plasma yet.