how many temperature devices for Blood storage device

tkakin

It has been my experience to have 3 thermometers in blood storage devices.  I am questioning this practice

1. The built in external display 

2. The continuous monitoring device

3. and an internal thermometer

With the use of the electronic continuous thermometer, do we still need to have the internal thermometer?

Is the internal thermometer required or is just recommended for larger storage device?

Thanks in advance for input on this

5 hours ago, kim said:

Yes you need the internal thermometer because if the probe disconnects for any reason you wont be able to get a accurate temp

I see your point, but if this was to happen I could put in a separate thermometer to trouble shoot it, right?  If the continuous probe is out for what ever reason it should alert me, and then I could put an internal therm in the device.  And if it doesn't alert me, then having the internal probe is only useful when I look at it.  

If there is no regulation that requires the internal therm then, I do not see its purpose except to trouble shoot, and it that case I would only use it when I need it.