Crossmatch compatible antibodies

kimblain

There are quite a few (too many to mention here).

Can I cite for you, NHSBT Guidelines in your search engine, followed by looking for SPN214/3 (SPN stands for specification) and up will pop a document entitled "The Clinical Significance of Blood Group Alloantibodies and the Supply of Blood for Transfusion., written by my very good friend Nicole Thornton, Head of Red Cell Reference at the International Blood Group Reference Laboratory in Filton (Bristol) in the UK.

If I tell you that the document is 22 pages long, you may understand my first sentence!

2 hours ago, David Saikin said:

Though anti-M that is not clinically significant works for me.  Otherwise I cannot think of one.

Anti-M that reacts at STRICTLY 37oC can most certainly be clinically significant.

Antibodies directed against, for example, antigens to the Chido/Rodgers Blood Group System, the JMH Blood Group System and the Knops Blood Group System, however, are NEVER clinically significant, although those within the Chido/Rodgers Blood Group System can, on very rare occasions, cause an anaphylaxis type reaction.

19 hours ago, Malcolm Needs said:

Anti-M that reacts at STRICTLY 37oC can most certainly be clinically significant.

Antibodies directed against, for example, antigens to the Chido/Rodgers Blood Group System, the JMH Blood Group System and the Knops Blood Group System, however, are NEVER clinically significant, although those within the Chido/Rodgers Blood Group System can, on very rare occasions, cause an anaphylaxis type reaction.

Yep, we had a patient with one of those nasty Chido antibodies. No fun for her or us. She had serious anaphylactic reaction to platelets unless they were washed. We didn't do the workup - beyond our capabilities by a long ways, but we transfused her regularly. We washed platelets for her (manually) 2-3 times a week for almost 18 months and crossmatched the occasional red cell unit. Her case was published in Transfusion 1992; 32:576 Westhoff CM, Sipherd BD, Wylie DE, et al.  You never know what odd ball antibody is going to show up in your Blood Bank.

Trivial pursuit - couldn't resist :D.

20 hours ago, David Saikin said:

I heartily agree.  Fortunately these are few and far between.  Ortho Gel tends to make these pop out.  I find few that are reactive at 37C.  

That was also our experience when we used gel. Solid phase seems to pick up very few of them and they are more much more likely to be reactive at 37C - not that I mind that missing out on those extra workups!

Edited by AMcCord

3 hours ago, AMcCord said:

That was also our experience when we used gel. Solid phase seems to pick up very few of them and they are more much more likely to be reactive at 37C - not that I mind that missing out on those extra workups!

That's good to know as I am in the process of acquiring a refurbed ECHO.