Liquid Plasma

sunshine

I am confused on the expiration date of liquid plasma. Expiration date is 5 days from end of Whole Blood dating period. CPDA-1 Whole Blood expire 35 days from date of collection. Does that mean CPDA-1 Liquid plasma expire 35+5 days? Please help.

'Liquid Plasma' is never frozen so there's no need to thaw it therefore the outdate is not changed.

'Thawed Plasma' is the 5 Day product which results from Thawing Frozen Plasma (in all it's various forms, FFP, FP24, etc.).

Note: When Frozen Plasma is thawed, it is assigned a 24hr outdate.  You can extend that outdate to 5 Days IF you label it 'Thawed Plasma'.

e.g. Frozen FFP is thawed to Fresh Frozen Plasma (24h outdate).  You can leave it that way or change it to 'Thawed Plasma' (no FFP designation) and assign a 5 Day outdate to it.  Most hospitals, if they go that route, just label it 'Thawed Plasma' with a 5 Day outdate immediately after it's thawed.  (One Step vs Two Steps)

Note:  I'm using USA FDA rules, I don't know what they do in other countries.

I am not trying to thaw liquid plasma. I am not asking about thawed plasma either. I just want to know/confirm if blood center manufacture CPDA-1 Liquid Plasma  (not Irradiated) if it's original exp date would be 40 days? I had in my mind as exp date of Liquid plasma as 26 days. But really it seems like 5 days from end of Whole Blood dating period. 

• 7 months later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't liquid plasma (from Whole blood, never frozen) only indicated for an emergency use?  We had been using it for other cases when short dated but stopped this practice after review of Circular of Information.  I believe the reason is that it contains viable leukocytes.

• 2 weeks later...

The liquid plasma we received from Bloodworks NW has a 26 day expiration date. But we change it to 14 from the collection date because our medical director wants to avoid the potential hypercoagulability (he read this somewhere?). We also irradiate the LP because all our products are leukoreduced and these are not 

On 2/18/2021 at 12:52 PM, Byfaith said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't liquid plasma (from Whole blood, never frozen) only indicated for an emergency use?  We had been using it for other cases when short dated but stopped this practice after review of Circular of Information.  I believe the reason is that it contains viable leukocytes.

Technically, it is only indicated for treatment of patients who are undergoing massive transfusion. because of life-threatening trauma/hemorrhages.  We use it for MTPs in our OR as well as trauma patients coming into the ER.

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know an estimate of the number of viable lymphocytes in liquid plasma compared to red cell units?  Our liquid plasma would have been made from a hard spin, I think, as ARC does not make whole blood platelets.  I think that should mean that most of the WBCs go with the red cell unit and then most are removed by leukoreduction.  We don't give our trauma patients irradiated red cells; do liquid plasma units have some order of magnitude more lymphocytes then leukoreduced red cell units that would require irradiating the plasma but not the red cells?