Convalescent Plasma

sunshine

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 9:34 AM, ADeCesare said:

I'm building codes for COVID-19 plasma, frozen (one code each for Container 1, Container 2, Container 3, and an undivided product) using the component codes provided to me by Red Cross. I plan to assign an attribute to document that the product was convalescent plasma. Then, once it's thawed, the component code will be the same as for other thawed plasma. That way I can use the labels we already use; they can be scanned during blood administration (using Cerner Bridge) and are readily available.

The Red Cross has specific product codes for thawed convalescent plasma.  I believe you should use the corresponding "thawed" code for your convalescent plasma once it is thawed, not the same code you use for regular thawed plasma.

• 3 weeks later...

I switched gears, now that I have learned it isn't necessary to relabel components if they are given within 24 hours of thawing. We will just change the expiration date on the unit label, but not the component code. 

Has anyone written an SOP for Convalescent Plasma?  I am reluctant to do so, although we are enrolled in a study and the product is built in our LIS, because it is not approved by the FDA.  Plus we have no patients with Covid and I doubt this late in the outbreak we will be using it.

I guess I should reword my question - has anyone NOT written an SOP for this product?

thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking into the billing for the CCP. We used 5 units under the EIND and I was able to find the attached file online. Has anyone else heard is there a HCPCS code yet?  We are now in the Expanded Access Program and I know we will not be charged for those units. Does anyone know can you still charge for the thawing HCPCS#86927? TIA.

Request-to-HHS-CCP-Payment-Pathway.pdf

I highly recommend having a separate product build for convalescent plasma - enough so that it clearly distinguishes the order from a routine thawed plasma product.  If you don't,  beware of the possibility that a random donor plasma can be substituted for convalescent plasma especially if you don't have a lot of COVID19 patients receiving this product.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 6:45 PM, DPruden said:

We are not currently billing for convalescent plasma, we built them in SafeTrace Tx will a billing holder code so that all of these products end up in a, Epic billing workqueue.  I'm not sure that you should be billing the patients for these anyway seeing as the products are investigational products for research use only.

I built the product codes in SafeTrace but as FFP product, can not figure out how to build as a new product and set up billing, we use eIND so are charged for the products. Would like this to be orderable as conv. plasma through Cerner to cross into SafeTrace but unable to get this to work.

Our order is set up as Convalescent COVID-19 Plasma in Epic but is mapped to FFP in SafeTrace. The order set in Epic is only available to our pathologists and to a select few physicians who are caring for these patients, so it isn't ordered inappropriately.  It is up to the tech to select the correct product for issue. We receive an order print out in Blood Bank from EPIC and the requested product is very obviously spelled out on that document. The product description in SafeTrace reflects what it is and of course that prints on the product tag. We have not given this product to a large number of patients so we (one of the pathologists and myself) actively micromanage each of these transfusion events.