Convalescent Plasma

sunshine

I'm working on a build for convalescent plasma right now. I've put some codes in Test as FFP and that's working fine. The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether we can lump the product into the FFP category with it's literal (such as FFP Covid-19) printing on the product label or if we should also build a new product type. I'm leaning toward building a new product type so that the Epic result in the patient's EMR shows it as Covid-19 plasma and not simply FFP.  I would welcome anyone's thoughts or experience on the idea of building a new product type.

We've asked for an Epic order specifically for that product - that build is in process. I will also request a specific transfuse order for the product as was recommended by Epic. I found the recommendations for the Epic build, published by Epic, on our BB LIS user group site. I will share if anyone needs it.

Edited by AMcCord

On 4/2/2020 at 4:18 PM, AMcCord said:

I'm working on a build for convalescent plasma right now. I've put some codes in Test as FFP and that's working fine. The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether we can lump the product into the FFP category with it's literal (such as FFP Covid-19) printing on the product label or if we should also build a new product type. I'm leaning toward building a new product type so that the Epic result in the patient's EMR shows it as Covid-19 plasma and not simply FFP.  I would welcome anyone's thoughts or experience on the idea of building a new product type.

We've asked for an Epic order specifically for that product - that build is in process. I will also request a specific transfuse order for the product as was recommended by Epic. I found the recommendations for the Epic build, published by Epic, on our BB LIS user group site. I will share if anyone needs it.

Dear AMcCord

Can you please share it?

18 hours ago, B Postive said:

Dear AmCord, What HCPCS code are you applying if the units are given as eIND?  

We have not transfused a patient under an eIND - patient got better thankfully. When we started that process there wasn't a specific HCPCS code yet. I think there is one now, but I can't tell you what it is. We are now enrolled with May Clinic for the EAD so won't need the code for now. Maybe someone else in the group has it.

Edited by AMcCord

I'm building codes for COVID-19 plasma, frozen (one code each for Container 1, Container 2, Container 3, and an undivided product) using the component codes provided to me by Red Cross. I plan to assign an attribute to document that the product was convalescent plasma. Then, once it's thawed, the component code will be the same as for other thawed plasma. That way I can use the labels we already use; they can be scanned during blood administration (using Cerner Bridge) and are readily available.

We are not currently billing for convalescent plasma, we built them in SafeTrace Tx will a billing holder code so that all of these products end up in a, Epic billing workqueue.  I'm not sure that you should be billing the patients for these anyway seeing as the products are investigational products for research use only.

Yes, we already transfused few patients with Covid.  We built the Sunquest code as TCCP (Transfuse COVID19 Convalescent Plasma. we do use eIND to match with patient.

we built for two products one liquid LCCP and Frozen CCP.