Blood Product cooler thermometer

BloodbankZ

I need to be able to monitor blood products while in a cooler such as at bedside in the OR during a surgical case. We currently use the BT10 indicators but I am needing a device to take a digital temperature reading of the cooler at intervals during the surgery.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

I have tried a data logger the Microlite III temp logger. It did not seem to instantaneously read the cooler temperature but just the temperature that the logger itself had been at. Conditioning it at room temperature it took several minutes before lowering in temperature when placed in a cooler with ice. I pre conditioned it in the refrigerator and it took a long time to read a higher temperature at room temperature.  We store blood products in a cooler at bedside during surgery and need to account for the temperature. Do you have any brand suggestions?

We have been using a Logger-Trac Data logger which we have little trouble with.  However, the software used for downloading records is called Maxithermal, and it only runs on Windows 7.  Until they come up with a Windows 10 version, we have to maintain a PC that runs 7 just for this device.

So what ever you choose, make sure you have a PC that the software will run on.  I would recommend talking to other users once you pick a candidate.

Scott

On 2/27/2020 at 5:58 AM, AMcCord said:

I've been using Log Tag data loggers with a probe for cooler validations. Maybe using a data logger with a probe would be more responsive.

We use these too.  Sales from Global Sensors - almost too many to make sense of but we use a simple one Log Tag Trix 8.  Software updates online - seems to work on Windows 7 at least.  If the data logger is at RT - I can set the programming to wait 5 minutes before the 1st reading - that allows it to get to cooler temp.  If the data logger is cold - yeah - they take a while to warm up.  We store ours at RT, but it would be ok to store them at frig temps if you only use them in coolers.   Otherwise you do have to let them equilibrate to RT, if used at that temp.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:42 AM, cswickard said:

We use these too.  Sales from Global Sensors - almost too many to make sense of but we use a simple one Log Tag Trix 8.  Software updates online - seems to work on Windows 7 at least.  If the data logger is at RT - I can set the programming to wait 5 minutes before the 1st reading - that allows it to get to cooler temp.  If the data logger is cold - yeah - they take a while to warm up.  We store ours at RT, but it would be ok to store them at frig temps if you only use them in coolers.   Otherwise you do have to let them equilibrate to RT, if used at that temp.

The Log Tag Trix 8 is also what I have. Easy to use.

we use Awarepoint sensors and they continually monitor the temperature and can send hourly updates and temperature alerts. this is an expensive solution that our facility is going to replace with another vendor. I would recommend the data logger also or a thermometer with an attached liquid sensor. See example - the sensor can be relocated into a larger vial of glycol to assess the temperature characteristics of the cooler and any bags or containers stored inside. This would require looking at the cooler every hour or so to verify temps or use the High/low tracking to gauge the storage temperature.

CARDINAL HEALTH

Previously Purchased Contract # LCNDP/9000420601
Compare
Material #: CH2960-5
Manufacturer #: ACC895RF
Available
EA $32.05EA $32.05
QTY
Available

We do an annual temperature validation of our blood coolers for a 24 hour time period.  Since we have validated the coolers to show that they maintain the appropriate temperature over the 24 hours, we do not monitor when they are in use during the year.  If they still have ice in the bag on return, they have maintained the temperature.