Cryo Manufacture - Difficult Phleb

JamieB

When evaluating collected components for potential cryo production, do you allow production from collections that were considered "difficult" draws, i.e.  prolonged draw time?

Are difficult draws automatically manufactured into recovered plasma  - OR - do you deem these units acceptable for cryo production as long as the component was evaluated and NO CLOT was observed?

thanks !!

There's a comment in the Technical Manual about not making cryo from units that take more than 15-20 minutes to collect, the organizations I've been have used that guideline to determine manufacturing. As well as the no clots part of course :)

hey there..........the only thing I'm seeing is as follows, in the Blood Collection Process section........"a draw time longer than 15 to 20 minutes may render the unit unsuitable for platelets or plasma transfusions"...... using the phrase "may render....." leaves the door open IMHO  ;)

I don't see anything specific to draw time in the FFP section or the CRYO section...... Am looking in the 17ed.

In my initial post, I do indicate that an eval must be performed to assure no clots present before proceeding if a difficult bleed.

1 hour ago, JamieB said:

hey there..........the only thing I'm seeing is as follows, in the Blood Collection Process section........"a draw time longer than 15 to 20 minutes may render the unit unsuitable for platelets or plasma transfusions"...... using the phrase "may render....." leaves the door open IMHO  ;)

I don't see anything specific to draw time in the FFP section or the CRYO section...... Am looking in the 17ed.

In my initial post, I do indicate that an eval must be performed to assure no clots present before proceeding if a difficult bleed.

Ah, you are correct, its a bit vague, but we treated it like a strong recommendation and only made RBCs from whole blood that took longer than 20' to collect.