Disconnecting and Reconnecting Transfusions

AB123

I've been looking for some guidance on the disconnection and re-connection of blood transfusions, the only thing I have found so far is that if there is a delay between giving two components then the giving set must be changed. Which would imply the same if a bag was to be disconnected then reconnected and I would have thought removing the giving set from the now opened port would be a contamination risk?

Is anyone aware of any other standards that this would fall under?

Regards Steve

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AMcCord said:

Generally a new infusion set is required after 4 hours. If infusion of a second unit will pass the 4 hour mark on the initial infusion set, a new set should be used when the 2nd unit is started.

Do you have any reference for that? I was under the impression a giving set could be used for up to 3 units of  PRBC and only needed to be changed if there is a delay between one unit and the next. Cant find the reference for this at the minute but I'm pretty sure this is stated in either CAP or JCI. Just check AABB and they don't seem to have any standard on it.

The BSH guidelines from the UK that I've just checked state every 12 hours, but they do acknowledge there is a wide variation in the recommendations for this internationally, so maybe there is other recommendations used in the US?

21 hours ago, srichar3 said:

Do you have any reference for that? I was under the impression a giving set could be used for up to 3 units of  PRBC and only needed to be changed if there is a delay between one unit and the next. Cant find the reference for this at the minute but I'm pretty sure this is stated in either CAP or JCI. Just check AABB and they don't seem to have any standard on it.

The manufacturer's instructions for use on the infusion set packaging says: "Consult facility protocols and current standards for guidance on changing sets. It is recommended to change sets within 4 hours after initiating infusion of blood or blood products."

So that's what our SOPs state - 4 hours. Nursing service agrees.