AABB Transition To New Standards

AB123

We have received the following response from our AABB self assessment;

1.     Std 1.3: It is not clear from documents submitted how your facility will transition to the new editions of the AABB Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services.  Please submit an SOP.

We were requested to submit an SOP that covers transition to new versions of standards, so I sent our document control SOP that covers regular review of accreditation standards and updating policies and procedures when updates occur. I may be taking a too simplistic view of this but I don't really get what they are wanting. Or is this more to do with change control?

Can anyone advise what they have in their SOP that covers this standard?

Thanks

I think we would refer to this statement in our "Organization" Quality Program document: 

The Quality Unit responsibilities are defined and include: active and prospective participation in quality planning; oversight of all activities relating to quality; ensuring that policies and procedures are properly maintained and executed; ensuring that the quality of products, tests, and services provided conform to regulatory/accreditation, customer, and company standards; and maintenance of the facility quality manual

I had in my policy that we would review the Changes to Standards document published by the AABB and document on each change whether it affected us or not.  (We did not draw donors so we just reviewed and put those changes as not applicable.). If we were already in compliance with the change, we would document no change in policy required with the policy number. If a policy had to be updated, we documented when the updates, training, etc were completed.  The Medical Director signed this review and we kept it with our policies.