New sample collected within 3 days of a current Type and Screen

fza9629

Good morning, wonder what's the practice on the field.  When you have to collect a new blood bank specimen, for any reason (sample spill, ran out of sample bc of multiple blood orders, Ab workup, etc.), and the QNS samples was still within the 3 days of type and screen expiration, do you run a type and screen again on the new sample? or you just do an ABO/RH to make sure the samples match your patients blood type? or straight start using the new sample for XM w/o further testing?

New sample pretty much gets the whole nine yards.  Only exception for me is a pt w an antibody.  We'd repeat the screen,  If it was consistent w the previous testing we would abrogate another abid.

Unless of course we were dealing w a super responder, in which case we would get a new specimen every day the patient was going to be transfused - not even if done the day before.

I agree with David on the 1st part of his response.  New samples would get everything (except known antibodies as David stated) and you reset the clock.  As far as the second part of his response, I never had the "pleasure" of dealing with a super responder so I'm not sure how I would have dealt with that.   :coffeecup:

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, John C. Staley said:

As far as the second part of his response, I never had the "pleasure" of dealing with a super responder so I'm not sure how I would have dealt with that.   :coffeecup:

John - had an O Neg guy.  Negative ab screen as I recall.  He rec'd an O+ random plt concentrate (early 80s).  I don't remember the circumstances but the next day he had anti-C,-D.-E.  The next day a Kidd.  We didn't think it was the anamnestic response.  Too long ago but I believe he ended with 5 or 6 allos.  My boss was familiar w these types of individuals.  New specimen for every transfusion, even if the same day.