Aliquot Labels

Currently we are using 4 x 4 labels for our aliquots as per ISBT standard. These are too big for our neonate bag and attaching them is messy. I have seen some examples of 4 x 2 labels been used that would be perfect size however I'm concerned about compliance with ISBT standard. Can anyone tell me if such labels are acceptable under ISBT128. I have checked the standards and it always referances the 4 x 4 label and there is not mention of 4 x 2. Also all examples of these labels I have seen are missing unit number. This seems like the most important number to me, how can it be dropped from the label? How can the checking process be completed without unit number been shown?

Thanks

label.jpg

I work in a children's hospital and we do aliquots on 95% of our products.  We either fold the 4x4 label at the bottom or we write the sticker around the other side of the aliquot bag.  We primarily fold the label for the syringe units.  I don't think the 4x2 label you are showing is in compliance with ICCBBA standards since it doesn't have a DIN and no Product code plus how would you differentiate the parts of the product (i.e. Aa, Ab, Ac, etc.) if you don't have the product code?  Besides its cheaper to have one label stock.

On 11/6/2019 at 7:02 PM, Sonya Martinez said:

and no Product code plus how would you differentiate the parts of the product (i.e. Aa, Ab, Ac, etc.) if you don't have the product code?  Besides its cheaper to have one label stock.

I thought the bottom barcode is probably product code, I was thinking maybe they didn't use ISBT compliant number due to copy write? But as you say no DIN would be a major issue both for compliance with ISBT standard and for checking procedures. 

You still need to have all four quadrants of the ISBT 128 blood label.  If the 100mm x100mm label does not fit on the aliquot bag (or on an aliquot syringe), you can remove just a portion of the paper backing from the label and let part of the label hang off of the container (or syringe). This is just another option and there is no preferred or recommended option.

The label example above is not compliant and it leaves out the two crucial pieces of information required for traceability, which is the DIN and Product Code.

Erwin Cabana
Technical Manager
ICCBBA