Direct entry of manual testing results into LIS

TMGal

Good morning! We have a TM LIS in which technologists are to direct enter their manual testing results. While I appreciate the intent is to decrease the risk of transcription errors, I am also old school enough to want to write down my results on the worksheet first....

Looking for insight/thoughts/comments from the TM community on performing direct entry into an LIS of ABO/Rh and screen testing results....thanks......

We went through this a few years ago.  The problem with any kind of written worksheet is that it becomes your primary record -- the computer entry is secondary. -- resulting in both sets of records must be retained.  When results are directly entered into the computer, almost all written testing records are not needed.

Scott

Stop using paper once you have your BBIS validated.  It is just as easy to type 4 as to write 4+.

The system shouldn't let you make interpretation errors.  Trust it.

I know I've been turned down for positions because I told the technical staff that their papers would be history from my day 1.

I also have inspected places that did the paper first.  Went to watch a transfusion and had to return because the patient needed irradiated products - only found in the computer.  It was a good lesson that you don't want repeated when you get inspected.

I'm with David on this one.  Doing both paper and computer entry just adds one more opportunity for mistakes.  If you can't trust some one to put it in the computer correctly how can you trust them to write it down correctly!  The key is the ability to enter the results as they see them and not have to walk over to a computer station to do it.  Also, if you are entering from an instrument print out I highly suggest you get that instrument interfaced as quickly as possible.  Again, you are entering results from paper and that should be avoided.   :coffeecup:

We put a specimen number barcode on all gel cards for manual testing.  When we migrated to ProVue, we put a specimen number barcode on the instrument print-out (single patient per page).  For donor unit verification testing, we put DIN barcode labels next to each unit test result.  Results were entered into Meditech using the single patient result entry program,  same for donor units.  NO SPREADSHEET ENTRY!

We print out spreadsheets for patient results because we don't have computers right on our workstation benches.  This will change when we do a remodel -- whenever that happens.  Of course, we check the computer results at the end of each shift against the patient worksheets.  We also check all results from worksheets against the patient master log every morning as part of our morning paperwork.