Initial Training and Competency

kaz5485

CAP GEN.55500 Competency Assessment -Nonwaived Testing states in the Note:  Prior to starting patient/client testing and prior to reporting results for new methods or instruments, each individual must have training and be evaluated for proper test performance as required in GEN.55540 Personnel Training.

Do you interpret this to mean that there should be a document for training and a separate document for competency prior to initial testing?  Or is the sign off of initial training sufficient for a tech to begin testing with 6 month and 12 month competency to follow?

As far as my interpretation of this standard and how my facility operates, the training is not the same thing as the competency testing. Each area of the lab has an initial competency testing, then the 6 month, then the corresponding annual along with everyone else. I don't think mere completion of training without an initial competency assessment is sufficient. Training is often just acknowledging the trainee has been taught a task and can perform said test; the competency is a pre-set blind sample that already has a determined result, so you can tell if your trainee is passing/failing the competency.

I would say: sign off training, sign off competency, then you can perform solo testing.

There is a previous thread here, and another here about GEN.55500 that may be helpful? :sing:

We use a training/competency sign off initially. Then follow up at 6 months and one year with repeat competency assessments. I think that you need to have documentation that training has been completed satisfactorily, which is best demonstrated  by an acceptable performance on a competency assessment. The individual may not be performing at as a high level of competency as they hopefully will be at 6 months or a year, but they should demonstrate a minimum level of competency, as determined by your facility, before performing patient testing.