Blood Bank Bands or not

KerryBB

Our facility uses MobiLab and vinyl wristband labels.  Patient barcodes are scanned to print labels for specimen identification.  In this way, we are able to use specimens collected earlier in the day for blood bank testing -- as long as the label is printed from the patient's wristband.  Our downtime method is the old Biologics imprinted wristband cards -- these have been discontinued, but I think the box we have will last until the time I retire in 6+ years!

We don't require blood bank bands for inpatients or outpatients. All outpatients getting blood have their Name, DOB and MRN confirmed when they arrive for a blood transfusion. Then the Epic band is placed on the patient and the barcode is used for administering blood products etc. We do have a two ABO policy as well where all patients require two separate types (not same draw).

Honestly when we first started this change (we stopped using bb specific bands about 7 years ago) I was a bit nervous. But it really has been a non-issue. Our Infusion nurses are very careful and know their patients well. Us