Pediatric Trauma

butlermom

We are a 540-bed Hospital functioning as a Level I Trauma Center. I need help with setting up an MTP for infants and small children. Recently we had a two-year-old who had been hit by a car. They could not use the rapid infuser on her because it would be too much too fast for her weight so they pulled blood from the bags with syringes and pushed it in. The trauma team is asking me what supplies they need to handle pediatric traumas. All we have are syringes with an in-line filter that we aliquot for our NICU babies. How do others handle small pediatric patients? Do the nurses use syringes to pull and push the blood as I have described? Is that allowed? I’m pretty sure there was no filter involved either. So far we have only had older children and adults for MTPs and we have a good process in place—just need to provide for the smaller patients too.

Thank you for any suggestions/recommendations.

What a timely question! My hospital also is a trauma center and we have a pretty good adult protocol for MTP in place. But currently trying to have a good one for peds which as we are finding out there is no real good studies or whatever you want to call it. Currently if the child is 10 or older we send the adult mtp pack which is 6 rbcs, 6 liquid plasma(if  not available  fp) and a platelet. If under 10 we send a RBC and FP with a filter syringe and let them push it(this has worked well in the pass). As for the platelet portion we aliquot based on the patients weight. I will be interested to see what others say on this post