Gel Card reading errors on Ortho Vision

KerryBB

Hello, my lab just went live with the Ortho Vision. We have noticed that it rejects a lot of IgG cards for various reasons. One of the techs also works with this analyzer at a different hospital and suggested that we spin the cards down and then put them back on the analyzer. I have never heard of this practice. Does anyone else do this? 

On ‎08‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:27 AM, KerryBB said:

Hello, my lab just went live with the Ortho Vision. We have noticed that it rejects a lot of IgG cards for various reasons. One of the techs also works with this analyzer at a different hospital and suggested that we spin the cards down and then put them back on the analyzer. I have never heard of this practice. Does anyone else do this? 

In the USA you would have to validate that "off label"  double spin of the cards.  (If I was inspecting you I would ask to see the study). 

Occasionally we get a batch of cards that have not been handled well in shipment.  If the cards have bubbles, the Vision will reject them.  We do spin them down and put them on the Vision to be used.  This is not a "double spin" of the cards......they were not used, they were just rejected for appearance by the camera.

3 hours ago, swede said:

Occasionally we get a batch of cards that have not been handled well in shipment.  If the cards have bubbles, the Vision will reject them.  We do spin them down and put them on the Vision to be used.  This is not a "double spin" of the cards......they were not used, they were just rejected for appearance by the camera.

I do that also.  (with manual gel).

The extra spin is not recommended by Ortho.  We definitely see some lots/shipments that have more rejections than others.  It was requested by Ortho that we contact technical support when this happens so it can be reported and they will replace those effected cards.  We actually had a problem around a year or so ago that led to a lot of troubleshooting with the card manufacturers by Ortho.  Reporting to them is really the only way to find out what the root cause is - problems during shipping or manufacturing could all play a role.

I think you need to worry about the quality of the cards before they are used.  We also have had some bad cards shipped to us earlier this year (we do manual gel).  Bad as in no liquid on top of the gel.  According to Ortho, the gel goes bad in situations like this, so "fixing" them by re spinning doesn't seem like a good idea.  They should just be rejected.

Scott

So we do have to spin IgG cards multiple times because we don't always use the whole card while testing so I know it is okay to spin them multiple times. My real concern is that when I have seen rejected cards it is because there is gel up where it shouldn't be, or something I cannot see is it ok to spin them and see if the vision will accept? I hadn't been told that I could do that by Ortho when I have called to let them know we had this issue so I was wondering if it was common practice in other labs and I just didn't know about it yet. Thank you for your feedback

Oh, yeah.  That's true!  I think Ortho wants to make sure that you do not respin and try to re-read used cells.

And still, you would not want to try to "fix" a bad card (liquid off the gel) by re-spinning before use I think.

Scott