Centriguge speeds

Blood_Banker

If you spin a sample for 20 secs at 500g, is this the equivalent of spinning a sample for 10 secs at 1000g?

We typically use 500g and 1000g on our centrifuges but the new cell washer we have purchased has a high and low speed. The low speed is lower than 500g and the high speed is higher than 1000g. I guess im trying to understand if I can somehow calculate how long I spin at the speeds of the new cell washer that will be equivalent for spinning at 500g and 1000g for different times.

Edited by Blood_Banker

Whatever centrifuge or cell washer you use, you need to check it at different times for each speed.  What you want to see is how long it takes to get a clearly delineated cell button for both a positive and negative reactions, in addition to a negative that dissolves easily. 

We check ours yearly, (I think it's regulated by our inspector-JCAHO).  And sometimes we find we have to adjust a time for -- say -- an IS -- from 15 to 20 secs or whatever.

Scott