Helmer Ultra CWII cellwasher non-delineated cell button

Tympanista

My facility purchased a Helmer UltraCW II cellwasher last summer (prior to my employment here) and I have been told they had a very difficult time during the validation process when trying to produce a clearly delineated cell button during the spin phase.  They supposedly contacted Helmer and were told that this particular model does not produce a "good" cell button.  I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to perform the annual calibration and no matter how long I spin the tubes I cannot produce a clearly delineated cell button in the negative tubes.  Has anyone else had this issue?

• 2 months later...

Hello,

We have got the same cellwasher model recently and we are struggling with tube fill variation. Does your hospital have tube fill acceptance criteria as part of daily maintenance or Cellwasher performance testing?

Help is much appreciated.

I would think that you can define "properly delineated" for that particular cell washer however you like--as you have the manufacturer's input on what it is going to look like.

As for fill volumes, we have a Ultra cell washer (not a CW II though).  If it fills to 80% of the tubes and all tubes are within 1 cm of each other, then we say it is good.

Scott