KB

ESIZENSKY

I would like to know if KB test is performed in Blood Bank or Hematology? If using the Simmiler Test Kit do you count 1000 or 2000 adult cells. The test kit instructions sites an example and does not reference how many adult cells to count.  Will the calculation change if you modified the total cells counted  (i.e count 250  and x4 )  ? 

In every place I have worked, the KB has been performed in Blood Bank.

In every place I have worked, I have argued that the KB should be performed in Haematology, on the grounds that the staff in Haematology are far more experienced at 1) looking down a microscope (or, at least, they should be, as microscopes should not be allowed anywhere near a Blood Bank (see Issitt), and 2) looking down a microscope at minimal numbers, such as basophils and reticulocytes, whereas true positive KB's are very rare.

I was consistently ignored!!!!!!!!!!!

I know some hospitals where it is done in Hematology, though here it is done in Blood Bank. 

I agree with Malcolm on this issue. :)

Your calculation uses the total #counted and # of fetal cells. This is a ratio and so the calculation shouldn't change(other than you changing it to the correct number of total cells counted)

We always did it in the blood bank until the local University Medical Center Lab offered flow cytometry.  We still kept a kit around and maintained competency for the emergency situations a physician wanted to know if the blood they are dealing with is mom's or baby's.  Never really thought it was that big of a deal to make the battle worth fighting.  

I moved them to Hem at my prior workplace but not at the current one.  Hoping the Hem analyzer someday has flow cytometry method for it so then it will go.  The more adult cells you count, the more accurate your result should be but otherwise the math is proportional as mentioned above.  We use a Miller disk (like for manual retic counts).