LIS Product Categories

AB123

I'm in the process of setting up a new LIS for our lab, the current settings in the system have 100's of component categories for example, Packed Red Cell's, Packed Red Cell's Leuko Depleted, Packed Red Cells Irradiated and so on all as individual categories. In the UK we always used to just used to stick to 4 main categories, PRBC, FFP, CRYO, PLT'S and some times Whole Blood if it was ever used. My issue with having lots of different categories is that all of these are presented to the Dr's at the time of ordering and they are unlikely to understand all the different product categories and know which one they should be selecting etc, so my gut instinct is to stick to the major types of product as the specific product type is in the description anyway defined by product code and there is little benefit to each one having its own category. 

Just curious what the usual setup is in the US? As we are going for AABB accreditation I want to set it up in a way that they would expect to see it.

Thanks 

We have all of the units listed as you mention above in the Blood Bank system but the Dr's only see the 4 main categories. If they want anything special in the unit (irradiated, washed, etc.) they have to use a special comment. This way they don't get mixed up on which product to select.

31 minutes ago, Kathyang said:

We have all of the units listed as you mention above in the Blood Bank system but the Dr's only see the 4 main categories. If they want anything special in the unit (irradiated, washed, etc.) they have to use a special comment. This way they don't get mixed up on which product to select.

When you say you have them all listed, do you mean you have them listed as individual product codes, I'e the product description but under one main category heading? or you have a category for each class or product. For example a category for packed RBC's with all the possible product's within this description, then a separate category for apheresis RBC's  with all the possible products listed under this category, a seperate category for irradiated RBC's with all the possible products listed under this, then a different category for apeheresis irradiated RBC's  and so on so forth, rather than just calling them all PRBC's then listing the individual product descriptions under the one category for PRBC's. 

If you say the Dr's only see the 4 main category's this implies all PRBC's individual codes are listed together under the one main PRBC category? This is the way I'm used to it been.

Thanks

The LIS has to have all the different product codes you may use entered so it can log and track them in your inventory.  Discuss with your supplier as you will probably never see most potential products (it is a REALLY long list).

The Dr however should only be able to see the basics RBC, platelet, plasma, cryo and be able to add extra requirements like LR, irradiated, washed etc. I suggest having special products like washed, platelet crossmatchs in a sub menu (or at least harder to get at). 

Does your system allow you to "GROUP" all of the individual products(codes) under single headings (RBC, FFP, CRYO, PLTPH, etc)?  If so - then that is probably how you then build the Ordering screens to limit the Drs to the seeing the Groups only.  Anything special they have to put in comments - or your system may allow some questions and answers in the Order screens.  That is how Meditech does it and I think that is how Safe-Trace did it too.  You see all the product codes in Blood Bank - but the Order screens don't - that would be complete chaos!!  The system on your side also has to recognize the Groups so you don't have to line up each special product to a special order - also chaos!

12 hours ago, cswickard said:

Does your system allow you to "GROUP" all of the individual products(codes) under single headings (RBC, FFP, CRYO, PLTPH, etc)?  If so - then that is probably how you then build the Ordering screens to limit the Drs to the seeing the Groups only.  

Yes and this is what I've gone with, think its the easiest all round and the way I'm used to working. 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Keep it simple. Let them order red cells, just red cells. If they need irradiated or CMV neg or leukoreduced (assuming there is a choice at your facility) or whatever, let them select that option. In Epic they can be required to select a reason why they are ordering irradiated or CMV or whatever - the reasons should come out of institution policy. That way they are less likely to order inappropriate special attributes. Ditto for platelets and plasma products.