Communication between shifts

DawnS

Hello all, 

I work in a level one trauma center that is extremely busy. Most staff members are ready to go when their shift ends. This has caused a lack of communication between shifts. We are exploring ways to encourage more communication but so far have run into resistance. We are considering putting a log at each station where staff can write down important information from their shift for the shift to follow. Is there anyone in this forum that has done this with any success? Do you have suggestions for other ways to open up communication? Do you have an example of a form you use to make this work? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

We have a communication log that we make notes on that sits in the center of the Lab near our schedule.  Ideally a associate from the previous shift will go over what is on the log with the next shift.  We usually have a half hour overlap between shifts tho.

Scott

On 5/17/2019 at 10:39 AM, SMILLER said:

We have a communication log that we make notes on that sits in the center of the Lab near our schedule.  Ideally a associate from the previous shift will go over what is on the log with the next shift.  We usually have a half hour overlap between shifts tho.

Scott

Similar.  We call it a shift report.  It is reviewed at the shift change with the senior techs in charge of the outgoing and incoming shifts.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:48 AM, DawnS said:

Hello all, 

I work in a level one trauma center that is extremely busy. Most staff members are ready to go when their shift ends. This has caused a lack of communication between shifts. We are exploring ways to encourage more communication but so far have run into resistance. We are considering putting a log at each station where staff can write down important information from their shift for the shift to follow. Is there anyone in this forum that has done this with any success? Do you have suggestions for other ways to open up communication? Do you have an example of a form you use to make this work? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Yes, we have a Communication Log in each department and it works.

We also use a communication log that others are referencing here.  Each tech is required to read the communication log since the last shift they worked EVERY DAY as one of the first things they do as they enter the Transfusion Service.  We have been doing it for years, and it has now become second-nature.  Anything that has to be handed off must be recorded by the outgoing staff, and anything else to speak of (patient using frequent products or an OR or MTP that used a lot) is also helpful.  We also instituted a huddle board (dry-erase board at the end of the room) and do a standing huddle around 3pm everyday when we have the most staff and are usually the busiest.  Even the Transfusion Service MD on-call participates in the huddle and it has helped out with our team communication!

We use a electronic huddle report via the email system. The shift charge is responsible for writing it and they gather the information by going through the departments to see how the day went, inquire about any issues and asked for pertinent information to be passed on.  Most everyone is good about reading this report especially since there is usually some kind of interesting bit of intel to be passed on that induces a chuckle.

Also there is 1/2 hr to 1 hr overlap and Techs are good about communicating any issues. Great team work at my site..

We do a shift huddle 10-15 minutes after shift change. The lead or responsible tech in each area notes important info on the huddle log and reports verbally at huddle - everyone (usually 7-10 techs at huddle) is expected to pause long enough listen unless they are dealing with an emergency/stat. The PM shift then huddles with the overnight techs (usually 6-7 at huddle). Overnights huddles w/ day shift. It is mandatory, but we've been doing it for 3 or 4 years now, so its automatic. It is effective as long as everyone plays by the rules.

We have a dry erase board in an area that can be seen by all techs where we write general transient info such as  3 PLT ordered, # of available PLT, reserved PLT for heart surgery, etc. This info is erased as it is updated. Most of our issues seem to center around PLT. LOL

I have a clipboard with basically a sheet with instructions on the top and basically lines and cues about date/time on the rest of the sheet. If we talk to a physician, nurse or blood center about an issue, we write the info on the clipboard. Some problems take up most of the page so they take as much of the sheet as they need to relate the issue. I'm sure some things are missed here and there but it seems to work for us. It is not perfect but nothing ever is. My techs are pretty good about writing on the clipboard.

in our lab we had to implement troubleshooting logs with any and all instrument issues, was tech support called, what did you try to do to fix instrument, so it  wouldn't be repeated. and tape it right on instrument,

for other things we have a shift report binder to record any call in sick issues, etc. when and if service is coming in, and have weekly huddles for other not so stat issues..

We have a log book and a white board.

The log book is a daily calendar and it is for more date specific items (i.e. order a specific product on that day)

The white board is for more general or urgent items - something that doesn't fit on a day or would span over a longer period of time (i.e. shortage of a product).

sandra

We had a log book and white board also. Each shift had to sign the book, but, I think, the most important aspect is overlap between shifts in the department.   If the next shift doesn’t arrive on the bench until 15 minutes after the previous shift has ended, what was written in book 15 minutes ago may be out of date. 

• 3 weeks later...

A log sheet is the most simplistic form of cross-communication that is fairly effective as long as all staff participate. Where I'm at, anything that takes longer than a sentence to verbally explain is usually followed up by someone saying: "write it on the shift report."

It really only has to be in a box/table format, nothing outlandish. Can include spots for bleeders, expiring products, inventory, special instructions, etc.