cord blood weak D testing with positive IgG

tkakin

I am looking at my options for testing Rh (D) negative cord blood specimens with a positive IgG.

Currently we do EGA treatment (if the cord blood is immediate spin negative and the DAT/IgG is positive), before doing the weak D testing, but that is rare...only 2 times a year, so this is very expensive to maintain reagent and training for a test performed so infrequently.

One of my concerns is that RhIG needs to be provided within 72 hours of delivery, and our reference lab is not accessible everyday.

What are other people doing in this situation?

Sending the specimen to reference lab and ordering a Fetal Screen?

Not sending the specimen to reference lab and ordering a Fetal Screen?

none/all of the above?

I appreciate all your help :) Teresa

10 hours ago, Dansket said:

We report the newborn to be Rh Indeterminate, with a comment that the newborn is treated as if Rh Positive for purposes of determining the mother's RhIg candidacy.  Additionally, the newborn may be tested in 4-6 months to determine the baby's true Rh type.

We also add a comment that baby may be re-tested with no charge at the 4-6 month time.  Have not yet had anyone come in to take us up on that offer!