Beckman Coulter vs. Sysmex Cell Counters

kimg

We are in the market for new cell counters. We are currently using the Beckman Coulter DxH 800's . We have the SMS and the Cellavision. We haven't been using the slidemaker/ stainer as a stainer because of the maintenance (we use a small Aerospray with great results). Our choice is narrowed down to the DxH 900 and the Sysmex XN 3100.  Can anyone offer any input? We are especially interested in maintenance on the Sysmex stainer, platelet accuracy, and overall support. We have also been told that the Sysmex analyzers vote out the MPV frequently. Thanks in advance for your input.

We have the DXH800's with the SMSS.  Service is good.  The Stainer does require weekly (almost bi-weekly, if you have a high through-put) maintenance but it is fairly easy.  We had to play with our stain a lot before we got it right.  Our pathologists were very picky.  I would not recommend the BC buffer.  We used Volu-solv buffer with great results for smears, bone marrows and body fluids.  I have heard good things about the DXH900 from other places.  We will be looking at that one next, mainly for the Sepsis Protocol.  Does Sysmex offer a Sepsis Protocol?

Sysmex does not offer a sepsis protocol. I was disappointed to find out that Beckman's sepsis indicator is only FDA approved for adult patients in the ED and requires a monthly subscription fee. 

• 11 months later...

We've had the XN3100 for a few years now and love it.  I will say the slide maker/stainer is very low maintenance but it's automated cleaning procedure will take it out of service for roughly 35-45 minutes daily.  We usually perform this at the slowest part of the day and rarely have to make manual slides.