anti-M Mimicry

SMILLER

A recent thread about homo- and hetero-zygous expression of the M antigen reminded me of something I have wondered about...

Why do so many Non Specific Cold antibodies, when tested with common antibody ID panels, "mimic" anti-M?  Apparently there is some moiety present on RBCs that react with a NSC from patients that are often otherwise positive for the M antigen.  Yet, the pattern ofr these looks like a M reacting antibody.   These seem to be always only cold reacting (IgM), and not significant, but I  just wondered what is going on here.

Thanks, Scott

We get a couple a year here. The difference is, for our records, as to whether to document it as a cold anti-M or a NSC.

I just wondered what these are when they react as a M and the patient is M antigen positive.  Some kind of auto-antibody I guess.

Scott

I have noticed this too, more recently in the past couple of years - they're coming up in gel which we know enhances the "M"s  but...why enough times to take notice now?  We report them as a cold autoantibody mimicking anti-M.  The providers never call to question this ...aren't you surprised?