ABO Investigation With Wide Thermal Range AB's

AB123

When investigating grouping errors when antibodies with wide thermal range are present such as Anti-M reacting at RT and 37. What lengths do you go to to confirm the reverse group, for example if the screening cells are incorrectly positive I,e group B forward group reacting in the B cells and confirmed Anti-M reacting at room temp, do you just assume the Anti-M is responsible for the false positive reaction or do you go out of your way to find M negative group B-cells to confirm negative reaction in the back group.  I go with the latter but all my staff seem to think I'm mad asking them to confirm this, just interested to see others approaches. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, srichar3 said:

When investigating grouping errors when antibodies with wide thermal range are present such as Anti-M reacting at RT and 37. What lengths do you go to to confirm the reverse group, for example if the screening cells are incorrectly positive I,e group B forward group reacting in the B cells and confirmed Anti-M reacting at room temp, do you just assume the Anti-M is responsible for the false positive reaction or do you go out of your way to find M negative group B-cells to confirm negative reaction in the back group.  I go with the latter but all my staff seem to think I'm mad asking them to confirm this, just interested to see others approaches. 

Thanks

Without a doubt, we would follow your method srichar3, otherwise, what is the point of performing a reverse group on ANY sample?

I don't think you can do much "assuming" like this in the BB, much less healthcare in general.  A unexpected positive reverse cell is most likely due to something innocuous, but it could be, at the least, a sign of an ABO subgroup or whatever.  In any case,  you would want it all documented for the next time you see that patient.

Scott