Cerner Blood Bank

bbslm

We currently have Haemonetics SafeTrace for our blood bank but looking at Cerner Blood Bank since our hospital uses Cerner for our LIS. Anyone that uses Cerner for blood bank, can you please tell me what you like and dislike about it? And how does it compare to SafeTrace?

Edited by bbslm

I have a lot of experience with SafeTrace, and some with Cerner.  I much prefer SafeTrace.  I did like the Cerner reports better than SafeTrace.  When I was at a Cerner facility the staff used to issue expired blood all the time.  Right before I left Cerner removed the label confirmation after modification requirement.  I will say that I was told that the facility I was in used Cerner differently than other facilities.

I think the best blood bank software is Mediware's HCLL.  They are now Wellsky, I think.

As a Safetrace TX user in a past life, I believe this system is superior to Cerner (which my current institution uses).  Our Cerner build does not link the product orders to DINS and are just dummy orders.  No product status is communicated to the HIS.  We can’t have logic to enforce “Give O RBCS” for specified patients. And the list goes on.  For patient safety I believe Safetrace Tx is a better system.  

I have a lot of experience with SafeTrace, and some with Cerner.  I much prefer SafeTrace.  I did like the Cerner reports better than SafeTrace.  When I was at a Cerner facility the staff used to issue expired blood all the time.  Right before I left Cerner removed the label confirmation after modification requirement.  I will say that I was told that the facility I was in used Cerner differently than other facilities.

I think the best blood bank software is Mediware's HCLL.  They are now Wellsky, I think.

The more complex the service you provide, the less I would trust Cerner.  Having said that, a great deal of how useful a system is depends on decisions the user makes when setting it up.

SafeTrace does take both parts of its name seriously, and because of that it has a lot of hard stops.  Many times this can frustrate staff level users.