Daily QC (again)

jojo808

22 hours ago, David Saikin said:

If I am qcing gel - I use the diluent as a neg control.

If I am qcing tube reagents, I only test a pos and neg w anti-D, otherwise, only positive qc.

(personally, I think that tubes should be qc'd pos and neg but it is not required in the US (FDA).

Hmmm.  Here in Michigan, we are indeed doing negative controls for reverse cells (we just use albumin).  We are FDA and JCAHO inspected.

Scott

On 4/9/2019 at 2:16 AM, Malcolm Needs said:

Anti-A for the group B red cells and anti-B for the A1 red cells.

By definition, reagent reverse grouping A1 and B cells are used to detect anti-A and anti-B antibody in patient plasma.  Accordingly A1 cells should react with anti-A but not with anti-B, and B cells should react with anti-B but react with anti-A.  Therefore, A1 cells should not be agglutinated by anti-B.  No agglutination is a negative test result, i.e., a negative control test.  Likewise, B cells should not be agglutinated by anti-A. No agglutination is a negative test result, i.e. a negative control test.

Testing A1and B cells with AB plasma, Diluent, Albumin or saline may demonstrate that the test cells are not spontaneously agglutinating in their presence which serves as a negative control for those reagents, but does not serve as a negative control test for A1 cells or B cells.