MT(ASCP)

Good morning, my manager wants to move from tube testing to gel testing in the near future, she is looking at ortho workstation/ortho ID mts system, does anyone have any procedures they would share? and.or how you organized working up system? we have been saving pos antibody screens, or does ortho rep come in and train techs/work up unit? thanks!!

I have procedures for the Ortho Workstation. I am not sure if Ortho comes and trains or not. We had the MTS stations before the Ortho workstation. You will need some kind of fluke thermometer to take the temp since it only tells you if it is heated or not. There is no temperature gauge.

If you never have used gel before they may train you on it. Don't but the big rack, it takes up a lot of space and the boxes that the gel cards come in works well. I will attach the workstation procedure. If you want any other procedures for gel let me know.BB4-24 Ortho Workstation ver.1.doc

If you want our validaton I can also attach it, just let me know about that too.

When we switched to the Ortho workstation, I asked CAP what to do about the temperature and this was there response:

Taking daily temperatures on the Ortho workstation which contains an indicator light can be satisfied by having the techs record that the green light is lit and is "acceptable". Prior to allowing the techs perform this task, best practice would to verify initially that the temperature in the incubator is accurate against a certified NIST traceable thermometer. If you are unable to verify that prior to installation, that the temperature is accurate, then the manufacturer would need to provide to you that the internal temperature has been calibrated by the company. The process that other labs are doing that you described would also be acceptable.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Ljiljana Petkovic, MT(ASCP)SBB

Laboratory Accreditation Program