Bleeding times

bevydawn1

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:57 PM, bevydawn1 said:

Does anyone out there still do bleeding times? If your facility doesn't, did you just discontinue it altogether or did you switch to another testing method? 

Yes we still do them on a rare occasion.  One of those archaic nearly useless tests that some doctors can't get away from. 

44 minutes ago, R1R2 said:

What's a bleeding time?

In a way, it is exactly what it says.

Punctures (usually three) are made, usually on the inside of the forearm, using a device that makes the punctures a "precise" depth.  The blood derived from the punctures is soaked up using absorbent paper, such as filter paper, making certain that the wounds are not wiped, so that no forming clot is disturbed, and the whole is timed from the punctures being made, to the time the bleeding stops.

I only saw it performed a couple of times, and that was at lease thirty years ago, so I have no recollection as to what was the normal time or range of times.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm Needs said:

In a way, it is exactly what it says.

Punctures (usually three) are made, usually on the inside of the forearm, using a device that makes the punctures a "precise" depth.  The blood derived from the punctures is soaked up using absorbent paper, such as filter paper, making certain that the wounds are not wiped, so that no forming clot is disturbed, and the whole is timed from the punctures being made, to the time the bleeding stops.

I only saw it performed a couple of times, and that was at lease thirty years ago, so I have no recollection as to what was the normal time or range of times.

I was being facetious.  I haven't seen a bleeding time in decades.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am working at Korea General Hospital, but the bleeding time is meaningless.These days, Platet function test or equipment is PFA 200 ...P2Y or Asprin with Verify equipment and ADP with A-100.

• 5 weeks later...