PLATELET TRANSFUSION REACTIONS

tkakin

We do not draw a post transfusion specimen on platelet or plasma transfusions, when a transfusion reaction is initiated.  I was wondering if others have a specimen drawn for DAT testing? Or if it is standard practice to do only the clerical check?

Thanks in advanceTeresa

I am no expert on the subject but have recently read alot of references on it. I think there are a few things to consider. The first what kind of reaction are we talking about? Because of the short outdate of platelet units and the storage at room temp you would have to consider a septic transfusion reaction a possibility with platelets.  The need to culture and gram stain the unit with those kinds of reactions will vary depending on your criteria for the reaction (also to collect blood cultures from the patient in a possible septic reaction). We do collect a post-reaction specimen just because that's standard for us for any transfusion reaction (except urticaria). It keep things simple for us all. For Plasma products: I would think just to cover your back that you would need to collect a specimen to verify ABO on patient to make sure you have given a 'compatible' product (again depending on the type of reaction you are talking about). On another note for platelets: depending on what your policy is, you may need to consider if a platelet transfusion with ABO incompatible plasma was given and if it's a major incompatibility (A donor platelet to an O recipient) or a minor incompatibility (O platelets to an A recipient) only because I have read that hemolysis may occur in situations like these, depending on the titer of the anti-A or B in the donor or recipient. Although the chances of the mentioned are rare, at least you can say you have done a repeat ABO recheck/ clerical check/ and maybe if Post DAT is positive then you can check Pre-transfusion DAT sample to cover your bases. This is a few things I have learned on this site among many others. Others may chime in if I have misspoken on this.