Sed Rate Instrumentation

kholshoe

Hi everyone!

Looking for some opinions on sed rate analyzers.  We currently use a Streck ESR Auto Plus that may need to be replaced soon.  Not sure I want to stick with Streck as it seems there are more efficient options out there now.  Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

We use Mixrate 20 - semi-automatic system using dedicated ESR tubes (MONOSED), 30or 60 min ESR.  System works well, relatively cheap to purchase, very few problems and easy to use.

Other systems around - INVERSA, just seen evaluation data and in discussion with company MD, all previous system issues now addressed (Leaking seals).  System mod to high capital cost with low to mod consumable costs.  Cost per cycle more than the above, but much less hands on time. 

Other alternative use a ESR similar technology - Alifax TEST1 (RBC aggregation).  Have used for many years, with no major analyser issues.  In our hands correlation to ESR OK up to values of 40'ish.  System easy to use, results in approx. 3-5 mins BUT need to understand limitations.

Finally, why not additionally significantly reduce ESR volume - over used investigation with very  limited value (See BPAC guidelines for Inflammatory response).  If can reduce work load, then semi-automatic systems can easily support smaller workloads.  

We've been working up the Alcor iSED.  Unfortunately, I am not the one in charge of it (for once) and have only ran one sample on it. It takes 3 minutes for the first sample and then 30 seconds for each additional sample (up to 20).  So in my view, anything that takes less than an hour is a win.  Plus it reads a sample barcode and provides a printout. Too bad we don't have the $$ to interface it. Apparently if you're in a nursing home here a weekly sed rate is a necessity - so we get ALOT. And don't forget the STAT ERs - because they are waiting for the result to discharge the patient.   *sigh*

Thanks everyone for your responses!  I know alot of other sites in our hospital system that use the Sedimat 15 Plus are are moderately pleased with it.  I have been interested in the iSED for awhile now and actually have a rep coming to demo it tomorrow.  I've heard that people love using it and it's easy, but some literature online is citing limitations with it.  Has anyone else heard anything about it?