Cell Washer Regular Maintenance/Checks

SMILLER

We think we might be over doing our cell washer checks. We do daily checks including washing for weak D QC.  For the quarterly checks for RPMs and timing, we also check that the cell button is completely re-suspended beween washings, but we are having a little trouble with this.

Checking the AABB manual and our Helmer and Sorval cell-washer operator guides, they do not mention anything about a "cell suspension check" at all.  We were wondering what type of (non daily) maintenance others do for their cell washers.

Thanks, Scott

we don't do any daily checks

weekly - clean and check volume delivered

quarterly - timer check

semi annual RPM check

annual - functional operation - check buttons, reactivity and confirm validity with check cells

annual - change tubing and tube holder inserts

Liz

We have a Helmer, and according to the operator's manual and AABB:

-Day of use*: check tubing, drain and tubing connections, clean and dry interior after usage

-Monthly: Flushing the system, Mesure saline (when changing saline cube)

-Quarterly: RPM, Timer, Verify wash cycles, decant operation and physical condition

-Yearly: Calibration with AHG, Function verification

We do not perform cell button re-suspension check between washes.

*We perform Weak D in gel, so we use the cell washer only for DAT poly in tube and for Fetal Screen.

Good luck in your research!

Helen

22 hours ago, SMILLER said:

Helen,

As of today, we are indeed, thinking of forgetting about the whole check-for-a-cell-button thing.  But how do you "verify a wash cycle"?

Scott

Scott, the wash cycle is verified when I perform "day of use QC" with a positive and negative DAT poly in tube. I do not like to use the word "assume", specially in Blood Bank, but if the QC is successful, we "assume" that the wash cycle function is performing adequately.

Helen

22 hours ago, ANORRIS said:

My helmer says to flush weekly...can't find flushing in AABB, and I don't see calibration in either.

My Helmer mentions that too, but because we use the cell washer about once a week, I am deviating from the manufacturer's recommendation (with pathologist approval).

Calibration (yearly function) is from AABB, method section USB card.

Responding to what Frenchie, above, is doing regarding cell-washer checking (that includes looking for a cell button): 

Does anyone else do this?  Has anyone been asked about this during an inspection?

Thanks, Scott