JCAHO AND CALIBRATION/VERIFICATION for Hematology going away???

milesd3

We were recently JCAHO inspected and the surveyor mentioned that calibration/verification was going away for hematology (maybe retics as well but he wasn't clear)  Has anyone else heard this.  I've done those so long now I'm almost afraid to stop.  My director said the same thing. 

BUT he ALSO said we should be doing calibration/verification for fibrinogen.  when we had the Stago we di do that with a high patient sample but the instrument did all the dilutions and calculations. Is anyone doing linearity for the Sysmex CA-660 instruments?  If so what is the procedure?  Thanks

Edited by milesd3

It would be surprising if that were actually true. But I live in NYS, so even if JC gets rid of it, NYS never will!

Regarding Fib cal verification - we use the TOP500, but I'm pretty sure there is wording in the regulation that states if it is a clotting based test (versus chromogenic), you don't need to do the cal ver.  Just like you don't have to do it for PT or PTT...

14 minutes ago, nziegler said:

It would be surprising if that were actually true. But I live in NYS, so even if JC gets rid of it, NYS never will!

Regarding Fib cal verification - we use the TOP500, but I'm pretty sure there is wording in the regulation that states if it is a clotting based test (versus chromogenic), you don't need to do the cal ver.  Just like you don't have to do it for PT or PTT...

Yes our director mentioned state requirements are sometimes remarkably different from JC requirements.  I have sent a note to our sysmex rep about the fibrinogen but so far not reply.