Apheresis LR Platlets and LR filter

pinktoptube

Why?

From my brief stint in components at a blood supplier, I remember leukoreduction methods being QC'd fairly well. Physicians should be pre-medicating patients and requesting irradiated blood as needed, not double filtering products to some unknown end. How do they even know it's doing anything qualitatively substantial? :confused:

The bedside filters are not highly efficient - if they aren't primed correctly by the user they are not very effective at all. Better than nothing, but I wouldn't think they would remove enough more WBCs to have a major effect, especially since apheresis platelet collection doesn't leave many WBCs in the first place (relatively speaking). Do you have a reference for this practice?

Any blood supplier making and distributing LR products must be rigid product qualifications.  The wbc reduction is must greater than bedside filters. 

I would be concerned about someone instituting a blood administration process that BB hadn't been involved with to assure it does follow manufacturer's instructions, isn't having some deleterious affect etc.  If it was observed by an AABB inspector and it was not kosher, you are going to be the one getting a non-conformance.

10 hours ago, AMcCord said:

The bedside filters are not highly efficient - if they aren't primed correctly by the user they are not very effective at all. Better than nothing, but I wouldn't think they would remove enough more WBCs to have a major effect, especially since apheresis platelet collection doesn't leave many WBCs in the first place (relatively speaking). Do you have a reference for this practice?

I don't. I was just told that they have always done this and it works (no reactions). :rolleyes: I've never heard of this and wasn't quiet sure what to say...except why. I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to find a reference as to why this is not beneficial.

I have seen this and it was the pathologist that thought this was a good idea.   I reminded him that there is no literature on double filtered products and no one in the whole world does this (I guess I was wrong about that second part).   Anyway, perhaps the reason they think it works in reducing transfusion reactions is that they are premedicating everyone.   You may want to look at the cost of those filters and how much you will save when you discontinue the practice.   I would send out some education to the docs with your pathologist's approval and discontinue this practice.   Do you have a Transfusion Committee?