Rh Typing on ER Patients

Trying to find out what others do in the area of Rh typing for Emergency department patients. Currently it is our E.D. protocol to have an Rh ordered on all female patients suspected of being pregnant with abdominal pain or pregnant with bleeding. Do you perform an Rh on all of these type patients or, if the patient has a type on record, go by their history?

We always do the type.  If it's negative we expect a full type and screen but it doesn't always come because the ED doc will sometimes consult the OB doc and find out that the patient just had RhIG in the office.  Or, in the case of an alarming number of recent patients (2 ;) ) they already have immune anti-D.

We always do the type.  If it's negative we expect a full type and screen but it doesn't always come because the ED doc will sometimes consult the OB doc and find out that the patient just had RhIG in the office.  Or, in the case of an alarming number of recent patients (2 ;) ) they already have immune anti-D.

We've seen a recent trend with immune anti-Ds as well. I blame the anti-vaccine trend and the distrust in medical professionals.

We would just do a type.  For years one of my OB guys would always order a TS when he wanted RhIg.  My comment was that it won't hurt them to get it if they are sensitized already and especially now with the sensitivity of gel and solid phase, almost all Rh Neg pregnancies have a detectable anti-D on admission so we have crossed that bridge effectively.

I guess it would depend on how many true sensitizations to the D ag I found, but they are few and far between these days (not like the 1970's - for those of you who can remember that far back).

Also, if you get a pos absc on an ED order for an Rh type - you must do an id . . . if it's not anti-D, well, it's nice that you detected a sensitization but one not clinically significant for the MDs order . . .

Too many variables for my taste.  Give 'em the RhIg if they're Rh Negative.

I must admit that I used to think the same way David (and did until very recently), but you have to remember that anti-D immunoglobulin is made from human source material, and there is always the chance that this will carry a virus that we do not know about.  As I say, I am now much more worried because I am just reading Chapter 19 (Plasma fractionation and fractionation products) of Klein HG, Anstee DJ.  Mollison's Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine.  12th edition, 2014, Wiley Blackwell, in which two references are cited (both of which I had totally missed before) that are as follows:

Meisel H, Reip A, Faltus B.  Transmission of hepatitis C virus to children and husbands by women infected with contaminated anti-D immunoglobulin.  Lancet 1995; 345: 1209-1211.

Power JP, Lawlor E, Davidson F.  Molecular epidemiology of an outbreak of infection with hepatitis C virus in recipients of anti-D immunoglobulin.  Lancet 1995; 345: 1211-1213.

Now, it may be countered that we can detect hepatitis C infection much better in 2015 than we could in 1995, and that we now have better ways of inactivating viruses, but, I repeat, it may be a virus of which we are yet unaware - or worse, a prion.

This made me think!

My comment was that it won't hurt them to get it if they are sensitized already....

Malcolm

I'll have to look at those articles.  I know the FDA made the fractionaters change their methodology a few years back due to HepC transmission.  Apparently this occurred to such an extent that the Feds took notice and initiated the change.  I see the articles you quote are 20 yrs old.  I'm certain manufacturing of derivatives has changed to alleviate the HepC contamination (I also want to say that albumin and some other globulins were also implicated).

Dave :mellow:

Edited by David Saikin