New CAP survey being offered

Cliff

New for 2016 CAP is offering ABO Subgroup Typing proficiency test.  I am considering suggesting that we do not order this because:

• CAP has historically not provided high quality new surveys for the first year or 2.
  • It's not a regulated analyte, therefore not required by CMS as a proficiency test.
  • We are a large transfusion service and we rarely report out subgroups, I suspect there isn't a lot of clinical significance.
  • Last, but not least, I fear making mistakes on the survey.

Your thoughts?

Will you be ordering it?

since the inception of monoclonal typing reagents finding a weak subgroup is very rare (unless it is very weak).  You know you have a weak subgroup when the A/B type is 2-3+ or weaker.

Seems like a waste of resources to get this one (maybe a reference lab).

I will not be ordering this.

Edited by David Saikin

Some of these surveys are graded but not like the J series in Transfusion Medicine, eluate, or titer.  I get the advanced ETME surveys and am not concerned with right or wrong.  Myself and selected staff perform this survey - it is a good educational tool, the testing is not onerous and it makes the staff think (plus be a little nervous 'cuz it is a survey).  Makes me think too.  To not take a survey because you are concerned about grading is understandable - but this subgroup one seems like a waste all around.