Older blood banker

Kellpos

I am recently retired, having spent 30+ years in transfusion services as a bench tech & as a supervisor. I'm thinking of going back to work as a  per-diem, maybe twice a week.

My only concern, besides getting my license in California & passing an exam, is who would hire me. At what age would that be. As an employer, would you think twice about hiring someone that is 

in his 60's over someone who is half that age?

I would, but then I'm 60 myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'll answer the question seriously.

It depends very much on the vacancy.

If it is a vacancy that requires routine work (and I do not use the term "routine" in any derogatory way whatsoever) I would probably go for someone like you, who has had years of experience and, presumably, knows exactly what they are doing and has "seen it all before", particularly if I could use you as a mentor for my more junior staff, who will be coming through to take over from us "grey beards" (nothing personal Dr. Pepper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) after we retire.

On the other hand, if it is a position where I am trying to "modernise" the laboratory, particularly with an eye to the introduction of either routine genotyping or the use of recombinant blood group proteins (or both, and both are coming - they are already "routine" in our own Reference Laboratories in the UK, and this may well spread to our hospitals very quickly), I might well go for a younger person, on the grounds that they are probably more "up-to-date" with molecular techniques.

I realise that this does not answer your question, but I do not think that there is a "one size fits all" answer to your question either.

My concern would not be for your age as you have a wealth of experience and knowledge.  My concern is that now in Blood Bank I find it really hard to keep per diems competent.  They would have to work at least 1 day per week to keep up with all of the ever increasing changes we have.  I had a couple per diems who used to only work 1 day a month and we had to let them go because they just couldn't remember things, and would spend the first two hours just remembering all of their passwords, reading emails, signing updated policies, etc.  And they were very frustrated every time they came in because of the increasing workload, etc.

I'm in agreement with Terri. It's become almost impossible/unrealistic to maintain PRN staffing in the blood bank due to not only hospital/technical competencies but also to the pace of change and modernization. Just this calendar year we released a new document control system and a new occurrence management system, both completely web-based.

Good points about a per diem's ability to maintain competency.  Here, we generally have no "new" per diems working in BB.  We do have a former "retired" full-timer doing BB occasionally, but she spent several years as a generalist which included BB duties, and has maintained ther appropriate competency documentation. 

Scott

In the last 15 years we have had several people retire from our BB and go to work at the ARC reference lab part time. We are our own hospital systems reference lab so we are accustomed to very complicated aby pictures WITH the added pressure of completing our reference work while operating the usual BB duties. I think also that the older techs have a greater tolerance for misery and don't tend to quit if the pressure is to high. Our local ARC reference lab seems happy to get us even if part time. Many of us tend to stay on in the lab as well...I am soon to turn 60 and have no plans to stop, I like blood banking. The usual reason people have retired is the pressure to do venipuncture and cross-train(or rather to work other areas with insufficient training). As challenging as our Blood Bank and reference work is the venipucture here is also only for those with the "right stuff'. It is just not fun to have to do several hours of venipucture on very difficult sticks after 30 years of not having that as part of your duties. I would bet reference jobs in blood banking would welcome your experience and discipline...blood bankers show up.

We have quite a few part time and per diem that rotate through Blood Bank. I think if you are solid in Blood Bank and that the Procedures and policies of the Blood Bank are written well than there should be no issue. But then again, I'm 60!